livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] further comments/ Bio-Char test garden

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] further comments/ Bio-Char test garden
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 18:41:16 -0000

And I have seen absolute proof on my own land that there are a multitude of micro organisms that fix nitrogen even without the legumes. A pile of pure softwood shavings is thought to have a carbon/nitrogen ratio of less than 1 in 400. I have seen that be converted in compost with C/N ratio of 1/12 in less than 2 months.
The first time it took longer but after a few years it went very fast. And sometimes fertility is defined as the speed with which organic materials are broken down. Train your soil to do just that.
I never saw nitrogen robbing from my soil but then I always left the mulch on top without digging. That way there is contact with the air and it is there that 8 ton of nitrogen gass is pressing down on every single square meter of earth surface.
john

Actually those green manures which are legumes fix nitrogen in the soil without tillage.