livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Bio-Char test garden

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: richard green <greenrw71@hotmail.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Bio-Char test garden
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 22:53:22 +0000

Ah, very good points. I am glad I am not the only one who questions the why of things. However what of the nitrogen in urea? liquid, not gas. One of the many natural sources, chicken manure,bat droppings ect. mixed with water? A porous absorbent media such charcoal absorbs what it comes in contact with. Dose or will inoculated charcoal become a habitat for nitrifying bacteria thus releasing the nitrogen to plants? As for earth worms, who says they do not derive any benefit from charcoal? Currently I am adding shifted charcoal dust to my worm bin with equal portion of sand and water. They seem to be doing excellent. I imagine the absorbent charcoal passing thru the bodies picking up and holding on to the worm poo nutrients. I love the anticipation of harvest. It is suspected and being studied by cornell university that charcoal in the soil is utilized as habitat for many soil denizens. 2/3 of the human race curently use wood for cooking. A fact not likely to change. Wood burning cook stoves utilizing only the volatile gasses for heat are being developed and offer great promise. The trapped CO2 in the form of charcoal is returned to the soil becoming a carbon sink where it decomposes over a period of centuries instead of compost which also releases CO2 back into the air in less than a five year period depending on geographical location. 100% of its Co2 content of the compost is released. And just how much CO2 is released from the soil when tilling in green manures? Any new idea should be questioned, but also approached with and open mind and asked what if. Organic farming practices can feed the world. And they are beyond question far less damaging to nature than conventional agriculture. But they are not perfect. And we do ourselfs an injustice when we claim absolute purity.
Rick