livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Bio-Char test garden

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Bio-Char test garden
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:14:36 -0000

I concur Ken. Imo it is madness. 40 Lbs of charcoal need how much biomass to make? I would guess at an absolute minimum 400Lbs of wood and maybe double that if you include the timber that will be burned to give the heat to make charcoal. But Richard is actually doing an experiment himself unlike all the other charcoal nuts who just scream and copy what propaganda is available on the internet. There are people out there burning whole forests because of the hype of charcoal.
Maybe if Richard finds what I expect he will find he can help to turn the tide?
john
Taking organic matter and making biochar is bad news even if it increases yields.  It destroys OM that the soil needs to take in rain, aerate the soil and on and on.  It took decades to get farmers [including the USA] to stop burning OM and now some sat that.was wrong.  It is a no-brainer.  Nature knows best.

Ken H