livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] tilling

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] tilling
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 19:22:44 -0000

That is the case under anaerobic conditions Ken. When conditions are anaerobic organic material is converted to highly toxic stuff. Hydrogen sulphite, ammonia and phosphine. A good rule of thumb is to watch out for bad smells.
john
You do not have to "sneak" compost in. It is good for the soil.  I understand never have more than 12% OM in the soil.  I wish I could get that much to test if the statement is true. I understand at that point, the organisms change and are bad.

Ken H