livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve - charcoal

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve - charcoal
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:21:27 -0000

I was't even concidering atomic weights here Marty which makes the problem worse.
Start with taking one metric ton of timber.
Turn it into charcoal and weigh the result. How much have you left over? In my experience that won't be much more than 40 kilos or in other words you loose 24 out of every 25 carbon molecules as CO2 gas.

That weight loss was the most important and practical reason that people made charcoal in times gone by. We cook and warm our house mostly with timber and you have no idea what an enormous pile we need to get through a winter. In fact that pile is so huge that it is only possible to do this on a farm.
Charcoal was always made where the timber was, deep in the woods. Timber is very heavy and charcoal is very light and thus much easier to transport and charcoal is also a superior fuel. It will smelt iron while timber won't get quite hot enough for that. That most of the energy in timber was lost was not important then compared to the advantages.
john

John

That 25 pounds of CO2 for every one pound of charcoal sounds high. I know that carbon has an atomic weight of 12 and oxygen is 16 and O2 would be 32 with a total of 44 but that still sounds high. When i look at the retort videos on youtube they are charring quite a bit more wood than they are using for fuel. Then there is the factor that all the carbon that is char is being taken out of the cycle for a long time. The CO2 that goes into the air is then cycled back into wood where we have another crack at making char later. Right now i'm only using the charcoal from my fireplace insert for char. That means i'm using the energy to heat my house. Messy process but i think it's worth it. Where did you get that one to twenty five figure?

Marty