livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve - charcoal

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve - charcoal
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 12:47:08 -0700

With all that’s been written about biochar there should be at least a few
examples proving increased production. I haven’t found any on the Internet.

Now it may improve soil texture in sandy soil so that it reduces nutrient
leaching, but obviously that’s because it’s organic matter, and almost any
organic matter does the same, moreso if properly composted. If you want to
sequester carbon save yourself a lot of bother by just working in plant
matter or cover crop. In fact no-till, organic growing does reduce CO2. But
on a global scale we can’t cut down all the forests for biochar.

The Terra Preta soils of the Amazon happen to be volcanic in origin which
probably explains a lot.