livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve - charcoal

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve - charcoal
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 20:52:16 -0000

I think a study by Johannes Lehmann found that charcoal added to
temperate soils didn't add much if any productivity. However if
productivity stays the same and i can sequester carbon by adding it to
the soil i will do it. I figure if we can mitigate global warming in
this way we humans might survive to garden in the future.

The part i don't like about making biochar is the waste of energy when
the wood is burned. We need stoves designed to make charcoal AND heat
our homes and businesses.
Marty

<<<For every pound of charcoal you make you produce at least 25 pounds of CO2 gas. You really figure that is going to help global warming? Glad you seem to see that yourself.
john