livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 22:20:51 -0700

I tend to agree with Ken on that. What we're not given is the amounts of
"other things" added for three years - what does "in moderation” mean - very
little? or amounts added with the charcoal. Without knowing that, there could
be a cumulative effect at work to explain yield. We're also not told possible
impacts of weather, pests, cultivation, or planting methods. All in all, we
have no way of guessing about the reasons for results.

I have experience with trying to grow in soil too sandy. Soluble nutrients as
fertilizer will leach out as fast as you can irrigate, because - soluble
nutrients are soluble. It’s useless. Sandy soil can only hold nutrients when
enough finished compost amended soil is added. Nutrients are bound with
decomposed plant matter in soil. Greensand is said to help along with that.
Undigested compost won’t cut it.

I’m also going to caution readers about using large amounts of hard wood
charcoal. The bagged charcoal we can buy locally has dangerous petrochemicals
added, and is not intended for food production.