livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Charcoal Crushing/inoculate the charcoal??

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Charcoal Crushing/inoculate the charcoal??
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:56:49 -0000

Sorry for being so late but my modem gave up for almost a week.
First of all, I would like to find out in what form "nitrogen" is being bound to charcoal; N2, NO, ammonium nitrate, urea or does anyone know if charcoal binds to any of these for real and for sure?

Suppose this is true then what is the exchange mechanism by which plants are capable of taking up this "nitrogen"? Nothing is ever for nothing in nature, what do plants have to give in return to get the "nitrogen" And how does one explain the explanation that the charcoal after having given off it's "nitrogen" will stock up with new "nitrogen".
Sorry but this goes against some fundamental laws of thermodynamics.

Charcoal is the oldest and one of the best wood preservatives used by mankind because it is virtually completely inert. It will remain unaltered for near eternity. It is deader than a dodo.

What I do know for certain and this is well documented by scientific research is that there is about 8 metric tons of "nitrogen" pressing down on every single square meter of surface of the planet. What is also known is that there are a good few micro organisms that can convert this N2 gas into biological useful molecules that can be exchanged with plants in symbiosis. Many bacteria will give plants amino acids or whole protein chains and also vitamins such as vitamin B12 in exchange for plant made sugars.

This is a virtually unending pump as long as the micro organisms are given a substrate to work on. In my case that has been saw dust and wood shavings from mostly Sitka spruce.
john