livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Aliza Vanderlip <songbird97520@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 08:03:38 -0800 (PST)

I think there are two different issues here - OM and potassium.  I think that one needs lots of OM and not to get the potassium too high because it will replace calcium and cause weak plants and an increase in insect pests.  The lack of OM in soils that have had chemical fertilizers on them is way different because the chem ferts also effect the soil bacteria.  I think this is a comparison of apples and oranges.  I am guessing there are many ways to balance soils so that the soil is happy and therefore the plants as well.  Adding scads of OM can be the saving grace or downfall depending on the soil and the OM that is added.  High potassium compost in a low calcium soil will likely give you a major pest problem but that doesnt mean that OM wouldnt be helpful - just not that OM... KWIM?

Blessings,

Aliza
www.eftashland.com

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” Howard Thurman