livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:55:07 -0700

E J, It might have something useful in it but I'll never know, I deleted him
from this list years ago over his flaming and dogmatic attacks on
biointensive methods. Now, I almost never criticize garden writers. But I
feel obligated to call attention to some of his sweeping pronouncements.

Solomon's words from that link:
"In hard times, the family can be greatly helped by growing a highly
productive food garden, requiring little cash outlay or watering. Currently
popular intensive vegetable gardening methods are largely inappropriate to
this new circumstance. Crowded raised beds require high inputs of water,
fertility and organic matter, and demand large amounts of human time and
effort. But, except for labor, these inputs depend on the price of oil. Prior
to the 1970s, North American home food growing used more land with less
labor, with wider plant spacing, with less or no irrigation, and all done
with sharp hand tools. "

Fine, if any of that were true.
Before 1970 home growers used only "sharp hand tools"? Really? And used
"more land with less labor, with wider plant spacing, with less or no
irrigation"? Makes you wonder what he thinks happened in 1970 to interrupt
this idyllic scene.

Do "crowded raised beds" require high inputs of water? In wet climates? I'm
semi-arid and I still water less than once a week because of good mulch on
the beds. A sensible approach would be to look at the actual ratio of water
to the amount of food produced. Compared to industrial vegetable operations,
intensive, mulched vegetable production is positively miserly with water.
Higher levels of organic matter simply hold moisture better and leach
fertility less. It's accepted fact. In Steve Solomon's universe, raising the
level of organic matter is too much work.

I favor the long time organic writers who urge building soil fertility and
organic matter, mostly because of the produce quality, quantity on less space
available, and restoration of good soil. And growing the most we can in any
space we have is now even more urgent than when the book came out. I can't
see the logic of halfway working a lot more land to produce less per acre, on
his claim that it would need less work - all by hand tools. Even if everybody
had all the land they want.

And what's his reasoning behind "water, fertility and organic matter" all
depend on the price of oil? How's that work? In my work, about the only use
of oil is driving to and from market. And spacing plants farther apart
survives drought better - even with less irrigation, labor, and organic soil
building? Really? I'm sorry but decades of gardeners reports in Rodale's
Organic Gardening & Farming don't support trying to grow anything that way.

Amazon.com has some good reader comments on the book, and then there are
the other kind:
"The books subtitle, "Growing food in hard times", refers to the coming
shortage of oil and the economic troubles ahead. Don't let this scare you
away, the author spends very little time on this soapbox. The book falls a
little short of the promise, though; after explaining why fertilizer,
including the organic kinds, water, fuel for machines, etc. will be scarce
and expensive, he spends a lot of space discussing imported fertilizer
ingredients, sprinkler systems, and large plant spacing, none of which, by
his own assertion, will be available to most of us in the future."
Another:
"Also, it was frustrating for a book that purported to teach gardening for
hard times to say it's not worth it to garden in clay soil or rocky soil. I
would've thought there would be a focus on things that can be done to
maximize growth in all conditions. This is Gardening When It Counts, not
Gardening In Ideal Conditions... That and gardening is more expensive than I
thought. Especially as the author notes that once oil prices go up so will
the cost of all the fertilizers he advises you will need. Can I afford to
garden when it counts? I'm not sure.
Another reviewer:
"The author selected the title only to make sales based off what's in at
the moment, self-sufficiency/survivalist know-how. A lot of people are in
tough financial situations and one of the best ways to address this would be
both the financial and therapeutic benefits of home gardens, lose a job and
hell, why not start a home garden to keep sane while saving money? but
unfortunately what's happened here is a dry-as-dirt read geared towards
higher end more expensive projects, being passed off as a money saver for the
little guys going through hard times... this is the WRONG place to start if
your living with a medium sized back/front yard, and I promise you wont go
wrong with just about any other garden book as a jumping off point. Pick up
an old one at the thriftstore, borrow a book from a neighbor, check out your
local expletive deleted library for crisake. just dont buy this book new
unless your project can run into the 100s of dollars and you have a private
field. Some, and I mean SOME of this information is good as a backup
reference, but that information is widely available, any gardening book will
contain it, I got a different one years ago at the thrift store for 1.69 and
its been infinitely more helpful. "