livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: EJ <emj@uvic.ca>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 15:26:09 -0800

Dust mulch will only blow away it there is wind.

"If you want drought resistant pasture for your stock, rotationally graze and make sure you don’t put the animals back on the grass until it is fully rested and recovered.  This is important for us here in Western Oregon, even with all the rain we have in a normal year, we still have a summer that is primarily dry.  That is normal in my area of the Pacific Northwest."

http://matronofhusbandry.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/carrots-and-grass/

There is lots of practical info on grazing, animal husbandry etc on her blog - from someone who has is farming land her grandparents homesteaded. That seems at least as sustainable as most systems.

Its all about learning what works for you and your area.

Best regards!