livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:20:36 -0500

On 11/21/2010 01:32 PM, Tradingpost wrote:
What kind of structures, trellis, fences? Others must have good advice on
these things, anyone?

About this time last year we had to put in an 8-1/2 ft deer fence--the deer were just wiping us out. Redbrand "sheep and goat" wire fencing, 12-1/2 gauge, 4 inch mesh. I was ticked off having to go to the effort and expense--but then started seeing all the great things I could do with that perimeter fence. For example, trellising tall growing crops. This season I grew my pole beans on the fence, as well as a number of annual flowering vines for insect diversity. A buddy of mine who put up the same fence trellised his tomatoes on his. Cukes also come to mind.

Saves a lot of space in the garden beds.

~Harvey

PS Countryside & Small Stock Journal will print my article on the many new approaches to gardening here this past season, following on the installation of the deer fence. Next spring.

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.