livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:15:18 -0700

Me too Harvey, I pretty much just make notes of what didn't work as planned
as I go along. Tomatillos started too late, too many for what sold tho it was
just one bed. I'm in a dilemma on trying new things. Mints and herbs did
great but little interest at market. Italian oregano and French tarragon are
still keepers tho, hard to find and adds a gourmet touch in upscale markets
that pay better. Sunchokes mature too late for market in fall, but I see they
bring $5lb in Sunflower stores. I rotate but not enough room to do cove
crops, just mulch for winter and reamend fall or spring. Greensand, aged
manure, and alfalfa meal do wonders for the dead, dry soil around here but
I'd still cover crop if I could.