livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the learning curve
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:32:07 -0500

On 11/21/2010 09:46 AM, mobius wrote:
*We have chickens, so that helps.
*

There are some great ways to use chickens as partners in gardening--insect control, making compost, tilling in cover crops. That will be a major focus in the book I'm writing, out sometime next year.

*I need to try and train the winter squash to radiate out of the garden (it's round) and not attack the tomatoes, if that's even possible.
*

Definitely possible, though you have to "keep after them." A combination of gently picking up the growing ends of the vines and "re-aiming" them in the direction you prefer-- and simply cutting off that growing end (just past a node--don't leave a "stub").

Good luck.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.