livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 6:13:47 -0700

When working on restoration projects here we always got organic matter and
texture included in our testing as well as the standard parameters. We did
not look at trace minerals and other components due to cost. As has been
mentioned you can eyeball things like tilth and organic matter to some
extent. I agree that NPK/pH tests give one a very limited picture of soil
characteristics. I see them as a tool, and like all tools they have their
limitations and should be used in light of those limitations.

Perhaps the cost factor could be diffused by having responsible agencies do
generalized testing for trace components by soil type and publishing the
results. These should be fairly consistent within a soil type since the soils
are derived from the same parent material and processed by the same physical
factors.. Also as has been suggested, at least some components could be
assumed to be deficient and amendments added until plant growth achieves the
desired level. This would not be good for the trace minerals that can become
toxic for some plants at high levels.

I suspect that the biotic components can be managed by eliminating the use of
substances which kill or weaken them, maintenance of organic matter levels
and the application of no-till and/or low till methods. There seems to be
little point in using amendments for bacterial, fungal, insect, mite and
nematode components but in a seriously damaged soil one could obtain soil
from a well managed area and apply relatively small amounts. They will
reproduce rapidly in a conducive habitat. Earthworms might be trickier. One
would want native species adapted to agricultural soils. I supposed these
could be begged or bought from folks with the right stuff.

The abuse of the soils of the US Midwest and other major agricultural areas
is sin the nation will pay for dearly. Unfortunately this problem was
identified a long time ago and no appropriate action was taken. The "NPK"
mentality was largely responsible as fertility could be augmented relatively
cheaply. This era is rapidly passing. Perhaps with enough people making
reasonable arguments the deterioration can be stopped or slowed enough to
salvage enough land to provide "food security" for the country. I don't think
folks in the US have the same level of awareness of this issues that exists
in some developing countries. It is good sound bite word and perhaps should
be used more.