livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:40:01 -0700

It could be a problem with getting the samples taken correctly. You get the
best sample if you take material from several locations and mix them well.
From this composite sample you need to extreact the amount required by the
lab and send it to them rapidly.

IMHO soil samples are best seen as indicators. I wonder how different the
previously mentioned samples actually were. If they were taken correctly and
were all over the map it shows a serious failure of the method. If the
differences were within a reasonable range it indicates that sampling should
be taken as a guideline for potential amendment but not necessarily as gospel
.

It would be nice if one could get a broader range of indicators as has been
discussed. I suspect however that really in depth (no pun intended) analysis
would be very expensive.