livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:33:35 -0500 (CDT)

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency, maybe you can help clarify...

The Soil FeedWeb article that you passed recently (very good article, btw), has references to all kinds of testing and amending; such as:

  1. If colonization is between 15% and 40%, then all that is needed is additional fungal foods to help the Mycorrhizal fungi improve plant growth, reduce plant stress, and improve root protection.
    1. There is a dose response relationship to humic acids additions. Typically addition of 2 to 4 pounds of dry product, or 1 to 2 gallons of liquid product per acre are adequate to improve fungal growth. But, if there are toxic chemical residues to overcome, additional humics of fulvics may be needed. It is best to check periodically to see that colonization is improving as desired.

And you yourself mention adding "aged manure and alfalfa meal, with a dash of bone meal."

All this amending is based on evaluations of one type or another, "data collection" as I like to refer to it as.  Amending is a way of (attempting to- it will take time to observe/measure success or failure) make up for some deficiency: if the soil isn't deficient, then why would one "amend" it?

Because big Ag's system uses soil testing it doesn't mean that soil testing is bad.  I could suggest that there are far more people who mis-diagnose their soil conditions w/o soil testing than those who perform soil testing; but, without statistical analysis how can we know for sure (esp given that most people probably wouldn't admit their mistakes)?  Can testing laboratories screw up tests?  Of course!  And, as people here have properly noted, any recommended actions are to be looked at with skepticism: for anyone who should happen to get soil test (don't mention it here lest you be branded a heretic - LOL), be sure to state what you are using your soil for.

Have I ever had a soil test done?  No.  Would I ever have one done?  Probably, though most likely only when establishing on new land, land that isn't familiar to me.

Just like complex carbs are better than simple ones, complex amendments are better than simple ones: though sometimes the simple versions are necessary to initiate a quick resuscitation of the patient!  But, the "complex" is basically a buffered package of a specific mineral; for instance, kelp is high in potassium.  ("buffered" might not be the best word to use)

Again, I agree with you on the "simpleness" of maintenance, it's the repair end of things that I think are not so simple.

As many have stated -that "nature" is able to correct soils- we are, whether we want to admit it, interfering with nature (how many wild tomato plants are growing in New Mexico?), and as such, we find ourselves needing to alter soil makeup.

Until we can better appreciate shamanism we'll likely have to continue to rely on science for a bit longer...

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA