livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: pete <pete.rout@virgin.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:20:28 +0100

If you keep adding organic matter from many sources there will be very little imbalance or missing substances.  A friend of mine high up in organic growing only tests for carbon to make sure that it keeps increasing.  I think the only people who benefit from a soil test are the people doing the test.
Pete

This thread reminds me of one of my pet peeves - that things MUST be one way or the other.  Mark is right that soil analysis can be a useful tool, especially as you begin improving your soil.  There is no reason whatsoever that having a soil analysis should diminish your efforts to increase organic matter in the soil.  Remind yourselves that no-till does not bring in any balance or missing substances.  If something is deficient, and you attempt to avoid importing, it will remain deficient, and you will never know what you might have accomplished.  In other words, use every tool available.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.net