livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:08:14 -0500 (CDT)

Paul, we're talking past one another, and seemingly in circle. <sigh>

Again, you mention balance in compost.  That balance is what provides balance in the soil.  You open your response with this statement:

"Balance is one of those deceptive concepts pushed for chemical farming"

This may speak to chemical farmers, but it doesn't mean a one-to-one correlation with soil analysis.  Soil analysis is NOT chemical farming.

Nature's balance is all fine and well should one find such an environment.  But, and this was the reason why most people started hanging out here, that on the whole things are horribly out of balance.

Again, I agree that applying a balanced (buffered) compost on balanced soil is the way to go.

I'm still looking for some way that people can learn how to assess what is lacking in their soils.  And yes, one can become "in tune" with this understanding by looking, touching, and smelling soil, but... is this not data collection?  Isn't that what soil tests do?  Data without a proper understanding, whether from a novice grower or from some lab technician (or computer generated response from a soil readout), is just data- does really nothing: the data, however, DOES has value as a placeholder for review come time that proper understanding IS available.

I think that we're needlessly condemning the baby because the bathwater is dirty.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA