livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:41:03 -0600

I'm pretty much in agreement but I'd take exception to one point:
"I could suggest that there are far more people who mis-diagnose their
soil conditions w/o soil testing than those who perform soil testing; but,
without statistical analysis how can we know for sure?"

The point I'm trying to make is, WITH soil tests we can't know for sure. And
the difficulty is not with a few labs, it's structural, with the whole
system's dismissal of ongoing biological soil science that would paint a more
complete picture. And even then the current state of soil science is still in
its infancy, and incredibly complex because it's about the biology of living
systems that have evolved over eons. I compare it to the state of human
nutrition science which is often worse than nothing. Ask any nutritionist or
doctor why we get a certain disease when others don't, or how certain foods
affect immunities, or why some people recover when they shouldn't. Uh ....
they don't know.