livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Black Soldier Flys

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Black Soldier Flys
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:58:33 -0400

On 07/18/2010 02:43 PM, John D'hondt wrote:
I have been looking for a few years now how to get something like this started here on our farm in Ireland and found only a void.
One man complained about black soldier flies in a compost heap some 400 miles from where I am. . . ~john

John, do you know your climate zone there? In the US, BSF are native at least through Zone 7, though the northern edge of their range is really not "nailed down" with any certainty--folks north of 7 often find they have an ambient population to work with. I haven't done much research in BSF in other contries, other than learning that they are common in the tropics/sub-tropics, hence well suited to bioconversion there.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.