livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] sewage systems

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] sewage systems
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 19:17:06 -0400

On 07/11/2010 04:07 PM, CHERYL WESOLOWSKI wrote:
Don't know if it legal but it is very effective, use a privy and feed the human waste to black soldier flies.

http://www.esrint.com/pages/bioconversion.html

Here's a link to a good introduction to this concept of cultivation of BSF grubs for responsible management of organic "wastes," reclamation of their residual fertility to feed the soil, and "harvesting" of the grubs themselves as high-octane poultry, pig, or farmed fish food. I'm pushing this one hard myself, as a way of generating more high quality protein feed for my poultry. Check it out.

http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Black+Soldier+Fly.html

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.