livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Farms in Skyscrapers Won't Solve Our Food Problems

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Farms in Skyscrapers Won't Solve Our Food Problems
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 21:50:15 -0700 (PDT)

I am glad to hear one of these money pits is being built.  It shoule provide some entertaining numbers.

The thing that is getting people going is that same magical economy that the oil industry runs on.  We pay $3 at the pump and $42 in hidden tax subsidies per gallon, but solar, wind, geothermal and micro-hydro all cost too much due to the smaller subsidies they would entail.  Hmmm.

At this time yanking subsidies to the massive agro businesses, the way other countries have done, is considered too disruptive to our "system".  Poor Monsanto needs all our help, I guess, so it is far more reasonable to disregard easy, proven routes to energy savings and food production, like energy efficient, passive solar construction, public and commercial transport by rail, and small, intercropped family-sized agriculture, close to it's consumers, may all make the USA more economically secure and energy-stable, and would certainly profit the middle-class and small communities vastly more, but would deprive vast future wealth from those few hooked on the current "system".

Yours, Pego