livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Get on the Phone Now: SB-510

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Get on the Phone Now: SB-510
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:40:25 -0600

Understood. We avoid the big city paperwork nuisance and sell in outlying
markets that also happen to bring better prices. That website has fairly good
information but it's three years old and we haven't heard much since, except
several states are getting more restrictive. I can't accept one size fits
all; it doesn't.

There is an upside to some regulation, I think, for our own protection. The
first time one market customer gets sick it'll be all over the news and that
will make a huge problem for us all. Never mind thousands affected by
pesticides or e.coli from livestock factories. Best defense is a good
offense, so I think markets themselves should take the initiative to
encourage safe handling by growers. Meat, dairy, and value added products
should get special emphasis. To me that's the best insurance against
senseless, expensive programs from the feds.

What would Sally Hemmings do?