livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fwd: Food Safety and Modernization Act SB-510

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fwd: Food Safety and Modernization Act SB-510
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:41:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul

You may wish to pay a little more attention to this one, it is a fully co-sponsored bill that has already passed the House and is being worked on in the Senate.

I am not totally against it but it did and does contain some alarming stuff that needs our grass-roots attention and some political buttonholing.  One of the worst, that supplements be essentially classed as drugs has, thankfully, been lopped off, tho since it passed the house I expect it could resurrect during reconciliation if we don't all comment. http://www.anh-usa.org/anh-usa-victory-supplements-are-exempted-from-codex-language-in-food-safety-bill/  The $500 fee is still in but Senator Tester, an organic farmer in the senate, has offered up an amendment to eliminate small producers from these large-production regs; http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/organic_tester/

Yours, Pego