livingontheland - [Livingontheland] [RE] Life of plants: was Re: Permaculture - Farms for the Future

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "henry walden" <henrywalden@lycos.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] [RE] Life of plants: was Re: Permaculture - Farms for the Future
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:53:55 -0500 (EST)

At the risk of sounding woo-woo: Chili plants like to hold hands

Subject : [Livingontheland] Life of plants: was Re: Permaculture - Farms for
the Future
Date : Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:26:49 -0800
>From : Eva <eva@whitepineisland.com>
To : Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>

Plants show preference for relatives

If the sea rocket detects unrelated plants growing in the ground with
it, the plant aggressively sprouts nutrient-grabbing roots. But if it
detects family, it politely restrains itself.

The finding is a surprise, even a bit of a shock, in part because most
animals have not even been shown to have the ability to recognize
relatives, despite the huge advantages in doing so.

If an individual can identify kin, it can help them, an evolutionarily
sensible act because relatives share some genes. The same discriminating
organism could likewise ramp up nasty behavior against unrelated
individuals with which it is most sensible to be in claws- or perhaps
thorns-bared competition.

“I’m just amazed at what we’ve found,” said Susan A. Dudley, an
evolutionary plant ecologist at McMaster University in Hamilton,
Ontario, who carried out the study with a graduate student, Amanda L. File.

“Plants,” Dr. Dudley said, “have a secret social life.”

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/10/science/10plant.html