livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Seed resources Re: Tomatoes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Smittyctz6 <cityhomesteader@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Seed resources Re: Tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:23:22 -0500

I looked into those melons.. I won't grow Hybrids..

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net> wrote:

It's hard to find that answer, but this is what I went by last year. I hesitate to try again because they are so addictive.
paul tradingpost@lobo.net

http://www.pe.com/lifestyles/stories/PE_Fea_Daily_D_master0818.32b2626.html

No supermarket melon can compete with the flavor of a home-grown melon picked when it's perfectly ripe. The Charentais melons are considered the finest-flavored of the gourmet melons, but they are more challenging to grow. Most of the cantaloupe varieties commonly grown in our gardens will separate from the stem (slip) when they are ready to harvest. If you give just a little tug on the melon, the stem will pull away cleanly from the fruit. If they separate from the stem, you know they are at the perfect stage for harvest, and if they don't, they are not quite ripe and you know to try again tomorrow. The Charentais melons do not slip, so they require careful observation to determine ripeness.

 When almost ripe, Charentais melons will begin to change color from medium gray-green to a pale green with perhaps a yellow-tan tint in places. Unlike our common garden cantaloupe varieties, the rind of Charentais melons does not have the familiar reinforcing netting. Consequently, it has a tendency to split if left on the vine too long. As the perfect time to harvest a Charentais approaches, a shallow crack that circles the stem will begin to develop. Additional shallow cracks may develop that radiate from the circling crack, and the melon's fragrance will be noticeable. These are the indicators that the melon is ready to harvest. Cut the ripe melon from the vine. Do not try to pull it from the stem or you will surely put a hole in the rind.

As you can see, Charentais melons require more attention than other melons, but the outstanding flavor more than justifies the extra effort.