livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] We Can't Reform Health Care without Reforming Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] We Can't Reform Health Care without Reforming Food
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 17:19:34 -0700

Cooking from scratch doesn't need to take more time and effort than the
drivethru line at McDooDoos. The kitchen skills need to be learned, best by
working with someone who's done it, who knows how to make good meals from
whatever's in the garden, the pantry or icebox (that dates me!) My partner
Barb learned from her mother since she was big enough to reach the kitchen
counter, and her immigrant mother raised and cooked for her younger siblings
alone after HER mother died in Italy, since she was 11 years old. Now her
daugher Barb says she can even cook on a wood stove if she needs to. When
Barb whips up something really good in a hurry she jokes that she spent all
day over a hot stove ;-) And it doesn't take a fancy kitchen (the kind you
see on TV that nobody ever cooks in).

But yes, it's not an uncommon problem. People at the markets keep asking her
how you fix squash or whatever. I always wonder why they buy stuff they don't
know what to do with. (I like ending with prepositions, dangling participles,
split infinitives; and I have a good reason.)