livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar Questions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar Questions
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 17:41:02 -0700

Got to take issue with it. Making biochar makes smoke; it releases CO2
immediately into the atmosphere. Organic growing and putting organic matter
directly into the soil does sequester carbon, but chemical fertilizers and
excessive tilling oxidize it. Lovelock has done great work but both those
pH.d's need to study up on current research. Many great minds have gone on to
promote silly projects.

Might check out this
Organic farming sequesters atmospheric carbon and nutrients in soils
A white paper on what we found and how we found it.
By Paul Hepperly, New Farm Research Manager, the Rodale Institute
http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/ob_2

"Why does the soil carbon level increase in organic systems but not in
conventional systems when crop biomass is so similar? We believe the answer
lies in the different decay rates of soil organic matter under different
management systems. In the conventional system the application of soluble
nitrogen fertilizers stimulates more rapid and complete decay of organic
matter sending carbon into the atmosphere instead of retaining it in the soil
as the organic systems do.

"Additionally, soil microbial activity, specifically the work of
mycorrhiza fungi, plays an important role in helping conserve and slow down
the decay of organic matter. Collaborative studies in our FST with the United
States Department of Agriculture Research Service (ARS) researchers, led by
Dr. David Douds, show that mychorriza fungi are more prevalent in the FST
organic systems. These fungi work to conserve organic matter by aggregating
organic matter with clay and minerals. In soil aggregates, carbon is more
resistant to degradation than in free form and thus more likely to be
conserved. Support for this work comes from United States Department of
Agriculture researchers at the Sustainable Agriculture Laboratory in
Beltsville, Maryland. Their findings demonstrate that mychorrizal fungi
produce a potent glue-like substance called glomalin that is crucial for
maximizing soil aggregation. We believe that glomalin is an important
component for carbon soil retention and encourage increased investigation of
this mechanism in carbon sequestration."

Full article at http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/ob_2