livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Hugel bed, different application

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Hugel bed, different application
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:29:54 -0400

Liz, my husband and three large boys (ages 23, 20 and 14) take turns with
me on the pick ax for much of the hole excavating. I'm afraid it is a
GREAT deal of work to make a bed but I tell you, I have a REAL garden now
that I use this technique. I wouldn't dig or till if anything grew on this
"soil". But nothing will grow (bare earth, literally) so I don't feel I'm
ruining the microherd by digging.

Yep. Three large boys and a husband. I have one large grandson who can help
for a couple of hours at a time maybe once a week. Other than that, it's all
me. But it sounds like your land is actually even worse than mine, so if
you've managed to turn it into lush garden soil, I can at least try here.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com