livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] pickup trucks?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] pickup trucks?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:28:55 -0400

At 01:24 PM 6/20/2008, you wrote:

We have two '70s vintage pickup trucks paid for, terrible MPG but only used for gathering soil amendments etc. close by. Others aren't so lucky and must make payments on farm pickups nobody wants on a trade in.

What do people do when they need that pickup but can't afford the payments, or worse have the pickup (and payments) and can't afford the gas?

I have a 1979 pickup, sounds pretty much like yours, and I use it the same way, only when I must haul something. When it was in the shop, though, I had to improvise, and I found a lot of ways to get around having my own truck. I paid the lumber yard to deliver some 4 x 4's, and they didn't charge much more than it would have cost me to drive the truck into town and back. I suggested to a friend that we go together to glean sweet potatoes, and I gave her half of what I picked up in return for the use of her truck. I went over to my neighbor's with a wheelbarrow to muck out his horse stalls, and he took pity on me and loaded it all into the back of his truck instead of letting me make multiple trips up the highway with the wheelbarrow. You do what you have to do with what you've got, or can improvise. But I do love my truck.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com