livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] pickup trucks?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Wayne <wa2yne@gmail.com>
  • To: minifarms2@yahoo.com, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] pickup trucks?
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:51:27 -0500

I'm way behind with emails right now, so replying to some a bit late.
I bought my pickup to be able to haul trailers and other stuff when needed.
Bought a smaller vehicle for most uses.
Being as the truck is paid for, trading it in would net me nothing but payments again.
Guzzler is a variable thing. Compared with some trucks of the same age, it is not that bad on fuel. As an example, it is a Ram 250 (3/4 ton or better) with a 318 V8. Many bought Ram 250's with a 440 V8 so they could haul faster, but pay for it in higher fuel use.
Mine will get about 13.5 to 14 MPG on the highway, 9-11 towing, but that was towing about 6000 pounds, and as much as 2 tons on the ruck itself.
I simply could not see paying over 100 to 300 per month to get a truck that would get maybe 18 or so MPG at this point. Not to mention, it would be less likely to be able to haul heavy loads as well overall...

And I saw on the news where so many of the big gas guzzlers are now sitting on car lots waiting for buyers, who are fewer now.

Mine will do for when I need to move something heavy
YMMV

Wayne WA2YNE