livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] pickup trucks?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] pickup trucks?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:51:15 -0700

I have a 98 Dodge pickup fully paid for. It has 176,000 miles and I expect at least another 75,000 out of it. Back when I bought it new, I looked for the smallest full sized pickup at the best price. It is a regular cab, short bed, with a 5.2 V8 and 5 spd. If I do everything right it will get 18 mpg. I live in a trailer wandering about from place to place helping out on farms and homesteads. Towing I get 10 mpg. I have already committed to help out building a shop in the Ozarks otherwise I would not be going anywhere.

This next fall I have to decide to settle down. More than likely it will be in the Ozarks where I have access to a place with good water, decent soil, and a house with shop. At that time I will consider what to do next. One option will be to buy something small and retire the pickup to occasional use. Another option if I return to California is to pull an 80s electric postal van I know of out of a junk yard and restore that. In either case I will be buying a small motorcycle.

Don Bowen KI6DIU