livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] sustainable communities

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: anna Lorrai <cactusandquail@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] sustainable communities
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 16:53:06 -0700 (PDT)

I have never shared a community garden.  Whenever I have gardened it has been on my own land but I truly love to see community gardens.  Every time I have come across one the appeal to me is the variety and the feeling of individuality in each little plot.  You may be right about people having a common ground and respect for each other.  One community garden I enjoyed seeing a clip about was started in NYC by a black man who dreamed about making a garbage laden empty lot into a garden.  He did and others in the community came and helped and shared but he was in charge and made the rules.  Perhaps the city being in charge is not the best way to go but rather as you say, a commited community .Anna

Tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net> wrote:

In theory community gardens sound like a great idea. But as they say, the Devil is in the details. From what I've read community gardens only work out where those involved belong to something in common, an organization, an apartment complex, a church, whatever, where they know each other and hence have some consideration for the others. A loose neighborhood collection of unrelated people can quickly lose interest and let weeds go to seed, or spoil others plots with sprays or just steal others produce. I'd be curious if anyone has actual experience to the contrary.