livingontheland - [Livingontheland] sustainable communities

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: anna Lorrai <cactusandquail@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] sustainable communities
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:16:00 -0700 (PDT)

Even if people lived in cities there are ways to grow food.  I few days ago I watched Bill Mollisons " Global Gardener " on Youtube.  In the urban section he showed many city farmers but the most impressive to me was the forward thinking developer in Davis California. This development has many homes but is built in such a way that the commons are self watering and growing food bearing trees. The children can ride their bikes about on the bike paths, pick fresh fruit and it is a very beautiful place to live. If more developers would build with self sufficiency in mind there would be less "Need"
Where I used to live the electric company gave a piece of land to mental health. On this lot they set up a garden and nursery that was run by disabled people.  You could also volunteer and get fresh vegies.  They sold seedlings and plants to the public and greens and vegies to local restaurants and groceries.   These kinds of community projects help people get a sense of self worth, create community, and provide learning and opportunities to the disabled who can work at their own pace without stress, not to mention food for the public.  I would love to see more of this kind of planning in communities instead of just developing for the $$$$.   Anna