livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Interesting blog

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Interesting blog
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:14:03 -0600

Which brings me to another point. Too often, as in that blog, it's shown as a
hobby, a fun, trendy thing to show friends. Yet the methods for growing in
that setting are nothing like the methods for growing in volume in small
plots of land or growing for extra income. In my view, the one doesn't lead
to the other at all. There are skills and knowledge needed for real food
production. I agree everybody has to start somewhere but I question whether
an expensive hobby can reasonably lead to something useful in times of
shortages and killer prices. And I really don't know how to bridge that gap
for most city dwellers.