livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Interesting blog

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Interesting blog
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:31:01 -0600

Excellent. Question it leaves unasked is how much of this trend helps
people who can least afford it. Now let's take a look at one of the
comments on that page:

"I have a friend who has been growing organic vegetables in his backyard
and in a local community garden plot. He has the time and enjoys it, but
even he admits that the time and money he has to put into it probably
isn’t worth it in economic terms. The growing season in New Hampshire,
where we live, is very short, and his overall yield was not great enough to
cut significantly into his grocery bill except for during a few peak weeks
of production. .. If I were in search of a new hobby, I suppose gardening
would be a much better one than say, skiiing or snowmobiling, but I daresay
there are many Americans like me who would find it hard to figure out how
to fit a garden into their already overburdened lives."

There's an answer to that but let's hear others first.