livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Interesting blog

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TamesonOB" <tamesonob@metrocast.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Interesting blog
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:37:12 -0400

It's called canning. The growing season in NH IS very short - but hey at least it's not Canada! In NH we're typically a zone 4 or 5 (some 6 too) and in that you can grow potatoes, beans, peas, tomatoes, apples, onions, garlic - the list goes on. But you get my point. Whatever you grow, you must learn to store - be it by canning copious jars of tomato sauce or root cellaring your apples in an old barrel (though if he lives in NH I can bet he has a cellar, unless he lives in a mobile home). Couple that with small scale season extensions and you can garden 3/4 of the year - with simple plastic low tunnels and soda bottle cloches alone you can increase the yield of any crop you grow. Imagine what he could do with a 10' greenhouse!

Tameson in NH
http://tamesonsmusings.blogspot.com/

----- Original Message ----- From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
The growing season in New Hampshire,
where we live, is very short, and his overall yield was not great enough to
cut significantly into his grocery bill except for during a few peak weeks
of production.

There's an answer to that but let's hear others first.