livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Vac N Seal?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkin@xanadoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Vac N Seal?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:44:19 -0600

Liz wrote:
At 08:13 AM 1/27/2008, you wrote:
I've been thinking about drying and then vacuum sealing. That would do the trick, wouldn't it?

I have one of the manual Vac 'n' Seal devices, which I heartily recommend. Its only drawback is that it's fiddly and fussy to use with plastic bags, but since I'd rather not use those anyway, I vacuum seal the glass jars with canning lid tops. I use a lot of half-gallon jars, which are easily available around here.

I'm not familiar with this sort of thing. Does it require power to work? Do you have a link to what you are talking about, because I sure don't think I've seen one locally that says anything about using jars, which sounds pretty nice to me. Plastic, nearly any kind of plastic, makes food taste of plastic to me. I hate it, even though I will use it to cover dishes and such where it won't touch the food.

Morgan