livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Climate changes now "irreversible, " U.N. report warns

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Climate changes now "irreversible, " U.N. report warns
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:22:58 -0700

Personally I have to side with the 99% of the world's climatologists,
against the talking heads on TV funded by wealthy corporations that stand
to lose a lot of money with more emission controls and so forth. Otherwise
I'm not out to change people's opinions. Natural or manmade, climate change
will force us to either adapt or join the migrations to more hospitable
climates. Which are too crowded (and expensive) already BTW.

The adapting part is where I come in. It takes water to grow food, and
water-conserving practices like permanent beds, mulch, and no-till are
rapidly becoming more necessary in several parts of the U.S. already. I
wouldn't promote this kind of intensive, sustainable food production if I
wasn't profitably succeeding at it myself in the semi-arid Southwest. Here
in NM water issues are life and death battles, and food growing in my
county is almost nonexistent. I do have to irrigate from our well, but only
one-fourth as much as I would with conventional growing practices. We're
enjoying a warm fall with no measurable rain now for over three months.