livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Climate changes now "irreversible, " U.N. report warns

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Climate changes now "irreversible, " U.N. report warns
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:27:58 -0800 (PST)

We don't have to believe anyone. We just have to apply a little common sense:

A) For a few generations to burn up all the fossil fuel reserves of this planet is
in itself in the highest degree irresponsible and borders on the criminal.
B) To claim that the release within such a short period of time of the carbon
that has been accumulated over millions of years by plant photosynthesis
is not going to have an effect on the environment is to be naive, dishonest
or politically biased because of vested interests.

Anybody can understand this without resorting to any science whatsoever.
Now, what is going to be the result of all this? I don't believe anybody really
knows. But that doesn't change the fact that we have to cut down on fossil
fuel consumption and carbon emissions in a drastic way. Because, whatever
the outcome, there are bound to be a few nasty surprises ahead of us. And
those who are already speculating that a bit more warmth may play to their
advantage may very well be in for a few surprises too.

In the last few generations, human sapiens has for the first time in the history
of this planet acquired the technical means by which to commit collective
suicide while taking part of creation with him. This requires a higher degree
of responsibility with which we need to treat ourselves and nature. We cannot
go on living like a 19th century baron using the resources of this plant at
our leisure.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com> wrote:
Who do we believe.  On TV the other day was a respected scientist saying that 19,000 scientist has signed a paper that global warming is natural and that some scientist have actually changed temperatures to "prove" it is changing fast and that is not true.   I have since gone on the internet and there is a mountain of info saying the same thing.

Corporations will lie, etc to get business just like bird flue vacine for humans, etc.

Ken Hargesheimer

Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now._______________________________________________