livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] As giant crops flourish, vitamins, minerals and taste

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] As giant crops flourish, vitamins, minerals and taste
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:42:07 -0700

At 12:20 AM -0500 9/15/07, <activism98201@verizon.net> wrote:
....>
It might be that no one was specifically measuring organics vs. standard crops, or that measurements hadn't been done recently, but this isn't the same as no measuring happening. Which leads me to the real trouble I have with this, and that's that, IMO, the industry didn't want to perform measurements; if this is the case then I'd suspect it's because they didn't want such information out there.

Yeah, but "the industry" did not commission this study; an organization focused on promoting the benefits of organics did. I'd guess "the industry" *still* doesn't want to use any of its resources to perform measurements or promote this kind of information because it doesn't think they're important. As long as consumers continue to buy tasteless produce that was produced for the lowest cost, why should the producers have to change anything they do? And, in fact, I haven't seen this study reported in the mainstream press.

Among nongardeners I know, all of them appreciate free homegrown produce, but very few go out of their way to buy organic, or even to buy in season, because they don't see any reason to change their habits.