livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] brix/ was vitamins, minerals and taste

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] brix/ was vitamins, minerals and taste
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:10:22 -0600

A couple quick points. True, sugar or brix isn't everything. Mineral and
vitamin density seems to have something to do with brix since all plant
nutrients are needed for healthy growth and ripening. Brix or refractometer
reading is meant for fresh produce of various kinds rather than cookies and
all the processed foods with sugar added. It's used religiously by wineries
for quality control. It can show the difference between different fruits or
vegetables of the same kind - one grape versus another, storebought
tomatoes versus homegrown op. We don't want the processed junk. I think
you'll agree we want high brix in the fruits and vegetables we eat. What we
can do to get it is give them healthy soil. Which brings up back to where
we began this list.