livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] As giant crops flourish, vitamins, minerals and taste

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] As giant crops flourish, vitamins, minerals and taste
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:50:16 -0500 (CDT)

To answer my own question/challenge... What this article
(http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/331421_bigfood13.html) noted that I
found extremely hard to believe (so much so that I didn't believe it) was
that no one foresaw the nutrient decline in our foods:

Some say the gutting of the nutritional value of what we eat could affect
public health, particularly in poorer countries. "There is no sinister
villain behind this," said Chuck Benbrook, chief scientist for the Organic
Center, which commissioned the report. "Increasing the amount of food grown
per acre, by itself, is a good thing.

"The problem is that until recently, no one ever checked to see what was
happening to the nutritional value of these much larger tomatoes, bigger
grapefruit and the rest of the crops."

REALLY?

I looked up the "Organic Center" to see who was behind this organization and
found that non other than the esteemed Dr. Pimintel (Cornell University) is
on their board. I'm hoping that Dr. Pimintel could speak to this claim, as I
had thought that he was a bright enough fellow.

After I had posted this to this group I spotted comments on this article from
the following:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/soundoff/comment.asp?articleID=331421

These folks here confirmed what I figured, that people have known about this
deficiency for a LONG time. Me being a newbie in all of this I didn't feel
safe just going on what I had recently heard (within the last few years).

Science is good, but all these "scientists" are making it look really bad...

-Mark Nagel