livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] brix/ was vitamins, minerals and taste

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Aliza" <realfood@wonderfulfarm.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] brix/ was vitamins, minerals and taste
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:13:05 -0700

While the measurement is of the sugars, plants bind minerals to the sugars.  The more sugars the more minerals.  That is why high brix veggies taste so much better and have much higher nutrient levels.  the added bonus is that high brix veggies are much less prone to insect attacks, molds and fungus.  A good high brix fruit will shrivel and dehydrate instead of mold on your counter.  If you want to learn more about this you can contact the folks at high brix gardens, Jon Frank at www.aglabs.com or Thomas Giannou at http://www.tandjenterprises.com.  There is also a yahoo group that deals with brix and both Jon and Thomas are on it.   Both these guys really understand soil biology and the way that plants uptake nutrients.  Read the work of Arden Anderson or Albrecht for a more unbiased view.

Remember that the types of carbs in vegetables differ greatly from the carbs in grains.  Your body would be very happy if you never ate anymore grains (phytic acid and the insulin response is really hard on our systems) but would be very sad if you never ate another veggie:o)

Aliza