livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food That Travels Well

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: pete <pete.rout@virgin.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food That Travels Well
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:55:05 +0100

I have not heard of UK sheep farmers using grains as feed. The majority of lamb is produced from grass otherwise it would be uneconomic.
Pete

LOL - or if they would eat it it would be over cooked and mushy - no offence
to any uk members - I too noticed the incorrect comments about having to use
grains or other concentrates to produce lamb. My pastures are not that
great but my girls make me nearly two nice lambs a piece each year on
pasture only. I have about a 180% lamb crop annually without pushing the
ewes. They do get hay in the winter (third trimester and or/nursing ewes)
but other then that they do it all on the grass with suitable free choice
minerals. the trick is to use the right sheep. Currently I raise cormo and
cormo crosses (fine wool and meat dual purpose) but I have my eye on a flock
of tamarack sheep because they do it even better. I know a woman who
raises dairy sheep for cheese on grass only. She is averaging 3 1/2 pounds
a day of 23%milk and her lactation lengths are like 240 days. If you know
anything about dairy sheep that is amazing on grass.

Aliza