livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Warning against using hay as mulch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Wayne" <wa2yne@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Warning against using hay as mulch
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:13:03 -0500

If the straw is from wheat or oats or such, they do not normally use herbicides on the fields used to grow same.
But, it might be that some farmers do...
I feel there has become far too much dependency on chemicals. Chemicals to fertilize, chemicals to kill off weeds, and so on.
I limit extremely what chemicals I do use, mostly some insecticide and a bit of Glyphosate to try to get rid of a few stubborn trees that keep growing back from the roots.
And I hate to use those at all.

I had a neighbor in California that used to spray his garden with Roundup, then a few weeks or so later plant vegetables. To me, that is the height of stupidity.
I try to cut or pull weeds, not use chemicals.
Here, I plan to have a few goats and chickens, maybe rabbits, and do not want them coming in contact with chemicals at all.
I do not feel it is safe to use any herbicide anywhere near where animals may come in contact with it.
I'll be sure to ask about any hay that I buy for the goats...
YMMV

Wayne WA2YNE
Imperial, Tejas
www.desert-rat.com