livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Warning against using hay as mulch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Warning against using hay as mulch
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:11:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hay is a crop harvested before making seed while the food nutrients are still in the plant.  Straw is what is left of the plant after the seed are harvested.  The plant puts everything into producing the seed. I have a problem in some countries getting the farmer to understand that straw is for mulch; not for animal feed as it has no nutrients in it for producing meat or milk.

I would not want to use the hay or straw with that chemical on the plants.

Ken Hargesheimer

Diana Jancek <dijaan@charter.net> wrote:
The farm couple in this story lost half their farm crops due to using
hay mulch contaminated with picloram, a broadleaf plant growth
inhibitor. According to Dow AgroSciences the warning label on the
picloram product called Grazon says not to even use composted animal
manure from animals eating & bedding in treated hay. The feed store
owner that I buy my straw bales from told me its not a problem with
straw. Does anybody know different?
Diana Jancek

Bitter Harvest in Sperryville
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/10/AR2007071000334.html?nav=hcmodule