livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Warning against using hay as mulch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <blademan25@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Warning against using hay as mulch
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:25:51 -0700 (PDT)

I am super concerned regarding this topic. I try to
compost all of our livestock manure and use a lot of
it on my own vegetable garden. Some of our plants
this year are looking quite bleak. Especially the
peppers and tomatoes. Our animals are fed on Alfalfa
hay and manufactured grain mixes. How would the feed
stores that sell the alfalfa hay know if their hay was
contaminated with this product as they buy the hay
typically from a broker?

And if selling the produce grown from these composts
is illegal - how is selling the meat or milk product
from these animals be listed as legal? Seems to me we
have the next DDT

--- Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hay is a crop harvested before making seed while the
> food nutrients are still in the plant. Straw is
> what is left of the plant after the seed are
> harvested. The plant puts everything into producing
> the seed. I have a problem in some countries getting
> the farmer to understand that straw is for mulch;
> not for animal feed as it has no nutrients in it for
> producing meat or milk.
>
> I would not want to use the hay or straw with that
> chemical on the plants.
>
> Ken Hargesheimer

for the edge of your seat?
http://tv.yahoo.com/